Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter in Rome

I'm really tired, crabby, and coming down with a cold right now, but what better time to write, huh?

Today was Easter. We were in Rome. I saw the Pope. I did not shake his hand. Yes, this morning we joined the tens of thousands of people who flocked to Saint Peter's Basilica and the square out front. It was pretty cool. I'd never been to the Vatican before, so the whole thing was filled with new sights and sounds. We listened to the Pope for a while, but we actually got bored really quickly because everything was in Italian and we were just standing on this really hard stone pavement. So yeah... we left. I felt like maybe I was missing something since there were still THOUSANDS of people coming in, but I figured, "What the hey... they speak Italian!"

So we went to the Colosseum instead. I know... out of the fire and into the frying pan, or something like that. Our theory was that everyone would be at the Vatican so no one would be at the Colosseum. We were wrong. Who knew that there were enough people in Rome to fill BOTH sites to obnoxious levels? I guess the moral of the story is, if you like people, Rome is the place to be for Easter.

We actually never went into the Colosseum, but we have our passes ready for tomorrow. Instead we headed into the Forum and Palatine Hill. THAT WAS COOL! We stood amongst the ruins of more than 2500 years of history. It was at that point that I realized for the first time just how epic this trip is. Not that WE are epic, but it struck me how much history and heritage we are exploring in just five weeks. It's really almost sacrilegious. Over and over I find myself asking the same question, no matter where we go: "Who were these people?" "What inspired them to do..." I can't answer those questions, but today I stand in awe of the past and the heritage of my humanity. Still, I'm not a Humanist, for the glory of Man is simply a reflection of a greater Glory of God. The triumphs of Man, are simply temporary echoes of the Triumphs of Eternity.

Tomorrow: the Colosseum, Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museum, more gelato, pizza, and coffee. Less cold.

R
Us with the Pope. Silly Kirsten... you're blocking the Pope!

7 comments:

  1. Hello I really like your blog, I would like a link exchange with you,
    I insert your blog to my favorite blogs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is awesome. You guys are amazing. Loved the Chariots of Fire re-enactment. Keep having fun and God bless! Krystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU are EPIC, guys. yep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rowan there better be a pic with Benedict, you know if I was there it would happen, or we would be in Jail * wink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rome and Easter sounds like Hong Kong and Chinese New Year...

    Luke says if you have money, you should take the underground tour of St Andrews Cathedral ("Cuz it's really COOL. Possible burial place of St. Peter. And you just might get a glimpse of his bones.")

    Yup-- direct quote from the man himself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, and i thought the vatican was full when i was there during just a regular visit from the pope. easter must have been nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our church was full too.
    We had ham balls, broccccoli salad ( I don't know how many "c"s brocoli has so just wanted to make sure there was enough), awesome potatoes, and a Toria salad, and cataba and biscuits. And that was just for lunch.
    Plus I think we might have even hit 60 degrees that day.
    I'd be getting pretty homesick if I were you. I'm pretty sure you're not eating that well.

    ReplyDelete